Home (a little worse for wear)


I am home.
A little earlier than expected.
I severely sprained my ankle at the bottom of a ravine and, after climbing back up more than a hundred steps and walking for an hour through the forest back to the car, my leg is out of commission for a bit. It is very fat, very sore and very happy to be home.
Until the incident we had a great trip.
Vancouver Island in the early fall is always a sight to behold.
Every five minutes the weather changes and the light hits the mountains and waters in a myriad of wonderful ways. We clambered over boulders, hiked through the forest and stared out into the water.


Roberts Lake provided our first peaceful haven and was just off the highway.
Only 30 minutes north of Campbell River this campground provided a place to set up a tent with no-one else around and have a fire on a sandy, lake beach.
Wine and smores were thoroughly enjoyed under the stars.


A day trip out towards Strathcona Park saw us driving alongside the Upper Campbell Lake singing along to the band The Sheepdogs.

We then stopped off the highway and took a hike through the forest, climbing over a ridge and down to the Elk River. It was an amazing spot and the hubby was happy to catch some little cutthroat trout (catch and release of course) while I sat in the sun, read my book and enjoyed a dip in the alpine fed, river water.



After three nights, we drove further north on Highway 19 up to Telegraph Cove.
I wasn’t expecting the touristy but beautiful little village built onto the marina there, with whale watching tours heading out and great coffee for those staying on shore.
On the road up we also saw the log booms on the bay and the new Kokish River run of the river project. An environmental eyesore and the topic of my hubby’s latest blog post on Cutthroats Galore


Next camping spot was the Kluxewe campground just north of Port McNeil.
A fabulous RV/cabin/tenting resort run by the local native band. It sits on the beach and river estuary and provides some amazing views out into the Queen Charlotte Straight. Many people were dedicating themselves to the catching of salmon with varying degrees of success, skill and sensitivity.






We had to be prepared for all weather conditions and so our blue tarps came in handy.
Mostly we were pretty lucky with the weather, especially on the day of our trip out to Port Hardy, Port Alice and the Marble River.
The hike along the Marble River to Bear Falls was an up and down affair for our feet, but nothing but uplifting for our spirits. It is so rewarding to reach your destination after a long walk and see that its beauty was worth the trek.




Before the weather turned we decided to take the ferry across to Malcolm Island and the town of Sointula. This fascinating town was once a Finnish commune and its history can be seen in the character of many of its buildings.



Unfortunately, the hike on this island was the one to twist my foot and, after a night in the cabin with my foot in the air, we drove home. I guess my body wants me to get back to work on all the boring paper work I have to do but the trip was worth it and I have some amazing images to remember it by.

All images were taken with the Sony RX100
Book of the trip was ‘Following The Last Wild Wolves’ by Ian McAllister (more on that in future posts)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s